Monday, March 8, 2010

Avoiding Annoying non-Applicatory Fruit

So, the title is from Andrew... except for the non-applicatory bit. So... thanks, Andrew! Amazing how well he hit the title on the head without even knowing what my entry was about... haha, just in an order that doesn't make so much sense!
Recently, I've been reading about self control - or at least, that's the chapter I started last night from the Fruit of the Spirit Bible Study. The author, Beth Moore (I tooootally recommend checking out one of her Bible studies if you've never done one - she is very insightful! God has shone a lot of light on a lot of my situations through her.), pointed out a proverb about a man with no self control being like a city with no walls. The study was all about the walls we need to let God build for protection - the walls are equivalent to self control.
So cool!
I finally got to thinking about where I need self control in my life, and a list of 3 things turned into a list of at least 10.
Something else that stood out to me yesterday was Philippians 4:8. As a chronic daydreamer (oh, that's not a real condition, in case you were curious), God challenged me yesterday with these words! Sure, fine, daydream, right? Well, as long as what I'm daydreaming about things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Ho-lay! Not as easy as I thought. Luckily, God supplies a means of doing this. How seriously I must seek out this means...
I don't know what else to say. I've been so curious as to what makes a blog interesting. I only read a few blogs regularly, one being Jonathon Acuff's Stuff Christians Like at http://stuffchristianslike.net/. His is hilarious, and true, and so applicatory to me. Applicatory is not a word. Regardless, how do I make my blog interesting? Why am I even blogging in the first place? Is this bringing glory to God?
I'm blogging because I love to write - but then why do I want people to read it so badly?
I think this might be a pride thing. I am indeed very proud of my ability to write, and my ability to put ideas out there. This is a problem, as pride is not glorifying to God at all! So how can I avoid making this about me, and make it about glorifying the Great King?
Another thing is one of my love languages (even though I have troubles receiving it) is words of affirmation - why am I trying to get love from people reading my blog!?
What is wrong with me? What do I need to do differently?
Why do you (or don't you) blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment