Thursday, September 2, 2010

Compassion And Anger

Last night, I read Jonah 4. I was really taken aback by what I found there, and I'd love to get other people's thoughts on it.
I just don't understand why Jonah is angry with God's compassion. I was praying through it last night, and I although I can't relate now, I know it's possible if I don't continue letting Jesus' love grow in me. What I understand the least is that Jonah was more than willing to take God's second chance for himself, but was angry that God gave Nineveh a second chance.
But, something equally enthralling? That even though God clearly disagrees with Jonah's anger, in verse six, "the LORD God provided a vine and made it grow up over Jonah to give shade for his head to ease his discomfort, and Jonah was very happy about the vine."
So cool.
God also kills the vine the next day. Does it mean that God's compassion towards our sinfulness can run out?
What would have happened if Jonah had come around, even after God killed the vine?
This passage was just kinda crazy to me...
What are your thoughts? what does this mean to you, other than to not decide who God's compassion should belong to?

No comments:

Post a Comment